Oregon adoption laws


Any person may adopt if at least one of the adopting parents or a consenting birthparent has lived in Oregon for 6 months before filing for adoption.

Can LGBT families adopt? Yes, same-sex couples can petition for joint adoption.


Can adoptive parents advertise for birth parents? Yes, but only after adoptive parents complete a pre-placement homestudy.

Can out-of-state residents finalize an adoption? Yes, if birthmother is resident.

Can adopting parents use an adoption facilitator or another paid intermediary? Yes, but only Oregon licensed adoption agencies may be used, and payment for services is illegal.

What birth parent expenses may be paid, and in what time period? Medical, legal (with time records upon court request), counseling (typically $1,000, up to $4,000 if payments made through attorney). Reasonable living expenses (rent, utilities, phone) during pregnancy due to job loss or need. About $100/week in food and misc.; public transportation or gas for medical appointments. $200-$500 in maternity clothes. Direct payments required whenever possible. Birthparent counseling for up to one year postpartum. Living expenses usually approved for up to 4 mos. Financial disclosure affidavit to court required.

Is there a putative father registry? Yes.

When can consent to adoption be granted? Birthmother: any time after birth; birthfather: any time.

 When does consent become irrevocable? If consent is revoked, is return to birth parent automatic? Agency adoption: after child is placed; independent adoption: after state requirements are met, usually within a few days of placement.

Are post-adoption contact agreements legally enforceable? Yes, but only if the court finds that the enforcing party attempted to mediate the dispute before coming to the court.


Is a foreign adoption decree automatically recognized by the state? Yes, as long as the adoption occurred under the laws of the country in which the child was adopted and at least one of the adopting parents is a U.S. citizen.

Can parents readopt in this state? Is it mandatory? Not necessary.

When will a U.S. birth certificate be issued? The State Registrar will issue a U.S. birth certificate of a child adopted in an Oregon court upon receipt of the court’s adoption decree, proof of date and place of birth of the child, and a request from the court decreeing the adoption, the adoptive parents, or the adopted person if s/he is 18 years or older.


Are adoption subsidies available? When do they start and how long do they last? Yes, adoption subsidies are available for a special needs child as defined by one of the following: 8 years or older, member of a minority group, member of a sibling group of 2 or more children being placed together with one sibling 6 years or older, member of a sibling group of 3 or more children being placed together, has or is at risk for developing a medical, physical, mental, or emotional condition that is professionally diagnosed, has recorded history of abuse or neglect, has strong emotional ties to foster placement. Starts upon adoption placement, but assistance agreement must be complete before adoption finalization. adoptionagencyoregon.com

Where can I learn more about the process of adopting a child from foster care in Oregon? http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/children/adoption

Human Services Building, Adoption Unit, 2nd Floor
500 Summer Street NE, E-71
Salem, OR 97310
(503) 947-5358